Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

Down the street and around the corner.

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

With a new baby on the way, we jumped at the chance to snag one of the brand-new-never-been-lived-in-before houses on the Air Force Base. We're currently living on base, in a 13 year old stucco disaster. There are cracks and gaps everywhere you look. Bugs come in, literally, by the hundreds. Spiders, scorpions, ants, crickets, pill bugs, roaches, earwigs, beetles, you name it. In our carpets, on our walls, and especially in the bathroom and kitchen. This morning I noticed a family of baby beetles, maybe 50 or so, had invited themselves in under our front door, and died right there on the tile. All the weather stripping in the world wouldn't be enough to keep these suckers out. We roll up towels and shove them up against the door in hopes to block the air/light, and this keeps the larger bugs out for the most part. The day that we got the keys to our new bug trap, Christopher had to come in and vacuum up thousands of insects. Some dead, some alive. We had no idea how much of a problem it would turn out to be. You can follow an earwig or ant with your eyes, and watch it disappear into an invisible crack in the wall. I'd hate to see whats going on in there. When we got the keys to go look at our new place, there was not a single bug in sight. I can't wait. Our new place is a town home, 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath, laundry room, 2 car garage, hardwoods downstairs, carpeting upstairs, and did I mention never-been-lived-in? While the backyard is slightly sloped, and we won't have nearly as much privacy with our neighbor's being able to see into our open windows, it will be clean, and ours. I told Christopher I don't care how many kids I pop out before now and the time we leave this base, we're not moving again.

15 comments:

BeckyKay June 17, 2008 at 10:13 AM  

Congratulations!! That is super-exciting!

How soon do you get to move?

Traci June 17, 2008 at 10:16 AM  

Yay! How exciting!

I hope everything goes well in your new home!!

Tia Colleen June 17, 2008 at 10:18 AM  

I know, a bug free home! I couldn't be happier. I can't belive it, but we're moving NEXT WEEK. Ugh, where to start.

Cthings June 17, 2008 at 10:18 AM  

Wow your brave to combat those critters! Congratulations on getting a new home!

Tracy June 17, 2008 at 10:38 AM  

Congrats on the new place!!!

Jess (aka LittleBunny) June 17, 2008 at 11:50 AM  

congrats!! the new bug free house is going to be amazing!!

Anonymous,  June 17, 2008 at 5:04 PM  

With the privacy issue, just make some curtains or get some at walmart. they arent to hard to make,well atleast the ones I make. Pretty easy ones. I am happy you are going to have a better place to live. YEAH!!!

Tia Colleen June 17, 2008 at 9:13 PM  

The windows all have mini blinds that we can keep closed. Its when the blinds are opened up that we let all of our neighbors into our own reality show.

Katie L. June 18, 2008 at 10:13 AM  

That's awesome! I bet you are way eager to be moved in there already :)

Oh Mandie June 20, 2008 at 9:52 AM  

Congrats!! - I'm pretty sure I'm have a nervous breakdown if I ever saw a scorpion in my house!

Diana June 20, 2008 at 5:19 PM  

Huge congratulations, sugar!!! I'll take a free peepshow starring yourselves over a bug-infested vermin hole any day of the week.

Your new place sounds absolutely divine! Convo me your address so I can send a housewarming present.

Are all of the bedrooms upstairs? Ours are split: master and one room at the top level, 2 rooms on the main. With three kids before the end of the year, we are doing some creative room sharing. There's no way I can deal with toddlers on split levels, sleeping a floor away from me. I'm crazy like that.

So my point is this: even if you pop out another 12, you can stay in this immaculate new home with some creativity, forethought, and patience. No more movey.

xox

P.S. Start with the unused dishes. I have moved so many times since I was 20. It's always easier to start in the kitchen, with the unused stuff. For some reason, once you get a box of these fragiles packed in newspaper, it really feels like you're moving and the momentum just flows...

littlebird June 24, 2008 at 1:16 PM  

good luck with the move be sure NOT to pack any of those wee "visitor" with you!

Michele Maule June 25, 2008 at 4:07 PM  

I grew up in Navy housing, and I can't imagine it's too terribly different from Army housing.

Linoleum floors in every room! :)

I had a couple of friends whose parents had enough money to put wall to wall carpeting in...oh it was so luxurious!

Anyway, glad to hear you've found a better place. You scored with the never been lived in deal :)

Have a good move and hope you don't have to leave any time soon.

Sweet Olive Press | Helen July 20, 2008 at 12:02 AM  

Ohhh, you got one of those houses you wanted so much! Yay you! I know how exciting that is.

Post a Comment