Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

Banana Bread French Toast

Monday, September 21, 2009

I have an itch to bake, almost constantly. Sometimes I can soothe it with a fancy bowl of oatmeal or a vita mix made smoothly, but usually I end up strapping my apron on and getting out the hot pads.

While I was shopping at Sam's Club recently, I came across a bulk box of two different bread mixes by Simply Organic. It was labeled gluten free, so I put it in the cart to put it to the test. I first tried the carrot cake mix, making carrot and cream cheese muffins. Um.. fail. I'm not entirely sure that the direction on the box were very well thought out. What kind of bread doesn't have oil or butter in it? Most of the muffin stuck to the cupcake wrapper.


Having learned from my carrot cake mistake, I stepped it up while making the banana bread. I ignored the instructions on the box, replaced part of the water with melted butter, added some vanilla, and it was perfect. Look at that loaf, have you ever seen such a pretty loaf?

Itch scratched.

Well later that night, come dinnertime, when we had nothing to eat, a light bulb went off in my head. French toast. Its been years since I've had french toast. Ohmygosh, stuffed, french toast. Yes!

So I mixed an 8oz package of cream cheese, with about a half teaspoon of stevia, poured in some banana puree (magic bullet style, woot woot... that was lame), and blended it until the fluffiness was on the same level of cute as a snugly week old kitten. YUMM (to the cream, not the kitten). I then spread the banana cream filling on the bread like butter, and put two pieces together like a sandwich. I dunked the sandwiches in a beaten egg/milk/cinnamon/sugar mixture (your basic french toast batter), and grilled them up.



Not bad, right? And my family obviously loved me for it.

Its OK to eat this kind of stuff for breakfast, from time to time (example; the international house of pancakes), and on occasion we all like to have breakfast for dinner, so... there, I justified it, hehe.

It tastes even better the next day, after a night of chillin' in the fridge.

Seriously, you've got to try this.

5 comments:

Unknown September 21, 2009 at 11:04 AM  

I'm so jealous of your family.

And then, you know how I know I'm lame? When you wrote 'Magic Bullet style. Woot woot!" I was all like "YEAH baby, Magic Bullet!" and then I kept reading... um. lame.

Alyssa S. September 21, 2009 at 2:15 PM  

I adore anything with banana in it. Can I come over and have some of that??

Post a Comment