Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

Love at Pumpkin Spice

Monday, September 7, 2009


September first launches the official start of pumpkin season. Even though its not quite fall yet, baking a loaf of pumpkin bread seems more festive than it did back in August. And my favorite... the pumpkin spice latte. Oh how I love the pumpkin spice latte.

Friday night, Christopher and I had a date night (you can read the pre- date article by clicking here). I wore makeup for the first time in days, he wore one of his "nice" shirts, we had a babysitter on lock down, we were set. Our first night out since Christopher's birthday in July, we couldn't wait to get away from the kids, "lets go!", we thought. I was holding my cherry corduroy purse (Beckykaydesigns) and wearing my cardigan (thin black cotton, a little bit too big, but super comfy) by the time my friend Kristen walked through the door to relieve us of our parenting duties. Just as we were about to hug Miss Eleanore goodbye, something that I had been looking forward to since I woke up that morning, a single cry leaked out of the monitor. Charlie was awake. I had just put him down for his afternoon nap 10 minutes ago, so maybe he just needed a bink replacement and a pat on the back? He'd go back to sleep for sure. The pumpkin spice latte that hadn't yet been made for me, said so.


As you can see, Charlie did not go back to sleep (but look at how happy I look with my latte!!). Turns out the little guy was sick with a tummy ache, we think caused by something that he got through Mama's milk, and cried for 40 minutes straight before we decided to just give in and bring him with us (he threw up on me twice, thanks pal). Half-freedom was better than none, right? Holding a baby (even if he was projecting rotten milk onto my favorite blue converse dress) on my lap would be much more enjoyable than trying to lasso a hyper 3 year old and repeating "don't touch that, don't touch that, don't touch that, I said no, I said no, I said no".


Christopher had actually forgotten just how good the pumpkin spice latte was. Probably because neither of us had one last year, or the year before. As soon as he lifted the cardboard to his lips though, his eyes lit up and his taste buds started dancing to the rhythm of the reggae that was playing over the speakers. And then I busted out the air flute.



You'd think I was breaking his arm, trying to get Christopher to take a decent picture with me. And not just with me, but any time the camera is pointed at him. We must have taken 100 shots. "I don't know what kind of face I'm supposed to make", he says. I think after every take, I'd look at the screen and then respond with, "Seriously Christopher, you're making that face? You're really doing that?"

In the end, even though the baby had come with us, and it had rained the entire time, and we all smelt like vomit... we had a really great date night. It was love at pumpkin spice.

7 comments:

Sarah September 7, 2009 at 10:42 AM  

You're looking good, mama!

Maggie September 7, 2009 at 10:51 AM  

You guys look so cute together! I love to go to Starbucks and make a nice event out of it.

Anonymous,  September 7, 2009 at 12:16 PM  

OMG, love the pumpkin spice, now I have to ween myself away from my americanos (no whip) for another season... oh, and this means the eggnog latte is just just around the corner! ::giggity::

Christina September 7, 2009 at 12:34 PM  

Lovely pictures. I love pumpkin spice lattes. I had one recently at Starbucks and yesterday @ Panera Bread...and the Panera one was soooo good too!

Amanda Megan Miller September 7, 2009 at 1:07 PM  

this post made me happy. especially because i know i'm not the only one who makes their partner take 80 million photos because one of the two of us is making a ridiculous face in the previous one.

-amanda
http://meshandlace.typepad.com

Unknown September 7, 2009 at 7:22 PM  

I need to try this drink. I was in Starbucks last night too, saw the sign advertising it, thought about it, but flaked out. Next time!

Hobocamp Crafts September 10, 2009 at 8:34 PM  

OMG Amazing. yes everything is all about the PSL these days! We have a drive thru- that I ahem visit- when Hazel doesn't want to take a nap in her crib. I load the backseat up with toys and my wallet with singles or change and we head to get a latte. too funny!

Post a Comment