Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

Week 14

Friday, October 30, 2009


Since Halloween is just a few days away, I figured I'd go with a Halloween flashback this week (hopefully some of you did as well?). Unfortunately, I don't have a single Halloween photo from my younger years, so it was a toss up between a picture of baby Eleanore, or this one-


Our first year here at Dyess, we were invited to a Halloween party put on by some of Christopher's coworkers (who have since been stationed in California). It was my first time meeting anybody from his shop, my first time being social since having given birth to Eleanore, and my first time leaving her alone with anybody for more than 5 minutes.

Notice, the PBR in my hand. Believe it or not, I used to be a wheat eater (I know, I say it like it comes as a shock). And I used to be a drinker? Wierd. Alcohol and I have a hard time getting along these days. Anyways, Christopher and I went to the party dressed as a modern day devil couple. It was our sad attempt at last minute costumes. Nobody got it, even though we both had rubber horns, I was dressed in all red, and Christopher had drawn on a beard and mustache. This was our first party outside of Portland, and our first clue as to how out of our element we'd truly be here in Abilene. I was hesitant to get into the picture with all of the girlfriends and wives, since I wasn't really clicking with any of them, and putting my arms around them was horribly uncomfortable. Can you feel the awkwardness radiating out of your screen? It was horrible.

Later that night, after 4 beers (and you know those first post pregnancy drinks hit you hard), I sang Journey as loud as I could out the window while Christophe was driving down Rebecca Lane. I sang beautifully, to the cows.

PS. I was totally jealous of that girls Rainbow Brite costume.

----------------------------
You guys- Flashback with me! You don't have to do a Halloween flashback (although it would be way more fun if you did!), you can post any picture from your past. Post it on your blog, your flickr, your facebook- whatever works for you. We'd love to have you play along. Just type your info into the setup below, and please link back to this post in return...

9 comments:

Giggly October 30, 2009 at 9:52 AM  

That's hilarious. Love it.

Alyssa S. October 30, 2009 at 10:08 AM  

At least you were brave enough to try the whole "hanging out with the military wives" thing. When Dom was in the Air Force, I spent four whole years being antisocial! I'll be posting today...but I don't have any Halloween pics either...not sure where they all went!

April October 30, 2009 at 10:28 AM  

The second April P link is the correct one!

soul_searching_mama October 30, 2009 at 10:43 AM  

I can totally see how uncomfortable you are in that picture. At least you survived! :) Love the post!

Unknown October 30, 2009 at 10:47 AM  

Blech, nothing like an awkward party where you don't mesh with the other people there.

Maggie October 30, 2009 at 11:28 AM  

At the risk of annoying my now teenage sons, I posted a blog link with photos of some of the costumes they wore when they were little.

This Little Bird October 30, 2009 at 1:37 PM  

I would have been just as uncomfortable.. but at least it was just one night. Also.. what is the lady in the weird sexy star trekish outfit?

Tia Colleen October 30, 2009 at 1:43 PM  

HAhaha, Nessa, she was a pilot. I didn't spend much time looking at her while we were at the actual party, but now that I look back at the photo- I don't know any pilots that have a uniform like that, haha. But at the same time, I don't exactly look like a devil either.

jessicajane October 30, 2009 at 2:28 PM  

you dont look as awkward as the cleopatra girl, haha.

Post a Comment