Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

Week 25

Friday, January 22, 2010


A few years ago, I would have been horrified if anybody saw this picture. It would ruin my "image" (whatever that was), I probably would have thought. Now that I'm older, it seems I get a thrill from posting embarrassing pictures of myself, rather than flushed cheeks. I guess after seeing everybody elses flashbacks, I realize that I wasn't as awkward as I thought I was. It seems a lot of you have similar stories to tell, most of the time, and that gives off sort of an accepting feeling for the majority of us who play along.


Now I'm not saying that all of you had your walls completely covered in magazine clippings, most of those being of Leonardo DiCaprio, like the Teen Beat freak in the picture (ahem), but, I do find a sense of acceptance around the most of you.

If you look over in the direction of the closet, you can see that the walls (underneath the magazine wallpaper) are painted pink with white hand prints. When our house flooded in 1996, I got to decorate my room the way that I wanted to, which was a huge mistake on my parents part, clearly. I chose bright pink walls, and I wanted them covered in hand prints (yeah I don't know what I was thinking). It was cute for about a year, or so I thought at the time. Around the 7th grade, was when I decided to cover it up with the pages of Seventeen, and as you can see, I didn't do it lightly. I wish I could take this photo and turn it into a 360 view of my cave, because all of my walls were covered. From floor to ceiling. Nothing but teeny tiny pictures of pop icons. Its kind of depressing when I see how lost I was, at the age of 14, but here I am almost 12 years later, and it seems as if it all worked out for me in the end, haha.

If you look up on my dresser, you'll see my lava lamp, my stereo, a Titanic Poster. I was only kind of obsessed with the movie (I wasn't the only one, right? Somebody has to have gone through that phase as well... please...). In place of closet doors, a bead curtain that I thought was the coolest. Who cares if it always got tangled up in my lack of organization, it was cool.

I can't really explain the over sized maroon colored flannel shirt that I'm wearing, or the pig tails, but I do remember the heart shaped mood necklace that I was wearing. I loved that necklace. I loved mood anything, but my fingers were too fat for rings (sad, but true), so I had bought that necklace at Claire's. Or maybe it was a gift from somebody? I don't remember the exact details, but, if I can still remember it, then it must have meant alot. Also, I still had my braces on. I don't have very many pictures of me in my braces. My braces and I weren't the best of friends. I wore headgear when I slept (at least, I was supposed to), they were constantly causing me agonizing pain- just thinking about them makes my mouth throb.

Oh, and of course the green pom pom on the wall. Go Beavers, right? And the plastic heart shaped caboodle on the bed? I don't even know what I must have kept in there, I don't remember ever being big on jewelry. I wouldn't be surprised if it was full of pictures of Leonardo's face, haha. Creepy girl.

This weeks flashback wasn't much more than just a glimpse into my early teenage years, having no amazing story to go with the picture, just silly little details to point out.

*****************************************

Now won't you share a picture with us? It can be of anything you'd like, but it might be fun to play along with my awkward teenage theme this time around, haha. You don't need to have a blog, you can post on your facebook, twitpic, myspace, wherever. Just make sure to add your link to the list below, and add our link to your post. Can't wait to see every ones flashbacks this week!


27 comments:

Carrie January 22, 2010 at 8:31 AM  

lolol!!! I think I had that SAME plaid shirt!! And I wore it to DEATH! :-) Very cute pic chica!! I was in love with Leo too!

Hobocamp Crafts January 22, 2010 at 8:40 AM  

I just have to find it, but our rooms may have been separated at birth! The bead curtain, the every square inch covered-wall, the hand prints on the walls add in a million vintage tea cups and linens ( I had a problem) and that could be my room! Good Times! Hope you are feeling a little better TGIF xo

The Bookish Life January 22, 2010 at 8:45 AM  

love this! i had a edward furlong obsession for awhile around the time the terminator movie came out. i also had a keanu reeves obsession at some point. i love that you have this awesome photograph time capsule!!

CraftGirlAlli January 22, 2010 at 8:55 AM  

omg Tia, don't feel alone with your obsessions lol. Although I wasn't big on Leo, my walls were covered in BOY BANDS. Yes, I said it. When I get home tonight, I'm digging through my pictures to see what I can find!

Unknown January 22, 2010 at 9:10 AM  

Mood rings, lava lamps, flannel shirts (I had a blue one and a green one), Seventeen magazine collage... yeah, that might have been me, sitting in my room. Only mine wasn't decorated with awesome handprints!

Haha, that reminds me, my collage was of Keanu Reeves (Speed had just come out and I was in 7th grade). It was just as huge as yours, but one day, I came into my room and looked at my collage, and my brother had ripped the head off of all the Keanu pictures and replaced them with pictures of ... um... the engorged member of the male anatomy... I was HORRIFIED. And my brother and his friends called Keanu "dick-head" up until I graduated high school (even though I was over him by then!)

Yay for awesomely awkward flashbacks!

Mommy Elephant Sarah January 22, 2010 at 9:21 AM  

I had the same shirt! I also have a picture of me posing in front of my plastered wall of photos, but my obsession was hockey players. I found the picture last night, and showed my husband because I'm posing like a tough chick in it!! So funny!!

Christina January 22, 2010 at 9:35 AM  

Hehe! Lava lamps! Bead curtains. All those things WERE cool back then. :D

And yeah flannel plaid shirts!!

I need to get more old photos available on the computer, because I don't really have much of old embarrassing pics on the computer. :P

jonahbonah January 22, 2010 at 9:35 AM  

funny how many of your commenters had your SAME shirt.

i too was obsessed with covering my walls. mine were NKOTB and...well, i don't even remember. i wish i had a picture like yours. i would love to see what my room looked like back then. my old age is clearing my memory. LOL

melissa

jonahbonah January 22, 2010 at 9:36 AM  

FYI, i'm only 4ish years older than you....but, 2 more kids. you know they say with each pregnancy more and more of your memory goes. and i believe it!!!!

Megan January 22, 2010 at 9:38 AM  

No, you were not the only one OBSESSED with Titanic and Leo. Trust me. ;)

I also had a lava lamp that I loved. I think it busted or something, though. I want another but Kyle says no. Oh well.

Denise January 22, 2010 at 10:21 AM  

So funny! Bad clothes, worse hair, and (gasp)I had 80s rocker bands on the walls...VanHalen with David Lee Roth...so embarassing really! : ) Thanks for sharing!

Lauren January 22, 2010 at 10:22 AM  

Tia, I must be an idiot because I can't get Mr. Linky to work. :( Regardless I did my very first post on a new blog as a Flashback Friday.

Allison January 22, 2010 at 10:30 AM  

I just found your blog. You're great (I mean it). I'm betting you kept your fingernail polish in your cabootle. That is what I kept in mine. Thanks for sharing the picture. It took me back. And my walls were plastered with photos of Rob Thomas. I still think he's hot!

Fallon January 22, 2010 at 10:35 AM  

Wow. Hello to a fellow past Leonardo lover! You have NO idea how big of a fan I was. My walls put yours to shame. I had thousands of photos of him (no I'm not kidding). My bestfriends dad who worked at the airport here in VEgas even got his hands on his plane ticket stub! I had the same adidas and wore those god awful hawaiian shirts beacuse of Romeo and Juliet and we saw Titanic 11 times in the theater (you're not alone). I have since moved on, thank God but I sure loved that boy!

Alyssa S. January 22, 2010 at 11:30 AM  

I could have rivaled that during my 7-8th grade Duran Duran phase. I had every wall in my small bedroom covered in Duran Duran posters, cutouts from BOP and Teen Beat. I also remember the Duran Duran vs New Kids On The Block vs Menudo fan wars we had in Intermediate school. Cause that was important and all.

Oh yes, and I totally remember rocking the 90's grunge flannel...while living in Hawaii where flannel served no practical purpose.

soul_searching_mama January 22, 2010 at 1:26 PM  

lol Thinking back to my own teenage years...lava lamp - check. pictures of guys (including Leo) on my wall - check. flannel shirt - check. :) You're not alone. All girls go through that creepy obsession with celebrities. ;)

Devon January 22, 2010 at 2:31 PM  

ahaha.. i had caboodles.. for jewelry and make up... AND and HUGE Leonardo poster from Romeo and Juliet! OK.. and a bead curtain. And pictures all over my walls... haha! NICE!

Anonymous,  January 22, 2010 at 3:53 PM  

I tried not to have any awkward pictures. And then...mom made my hubby a photo album for Christmas and SURPRISE, all my awkward photos suddenly resurfaced. Sigh...

Bathtub Bling January 22, 2010 at 4:55 PM  

I had a black & white plaid shirt that I wore until it was a rag lol...I think I was 23 when I finally tossed it out...hey, it was great for camping & parties & hiding extra baby weight at 19

I was 14 in 89, so I had the "Cory's" on my wall (Cory Haim & Corey Feldman) and lots of big hair rock bands and Kirk Cameron ...OOHHH!! I also had a BIG black satin wall hanging that had Metallica in huge purple lightning letters...

loved my lava lamp and hated my big huge glasses...oh and stickers!!! lots of scratch n sniff stickers and puffy stickers and glitter stickers *sigh* I was such a nerd lol

Hybrid Hopes January 22, 2010 at 5:03 PM  

I finally did one after enjoying yours all this time,

Melanie @ Whimsical Creations January 22, 2010 at 7:00 PM  

LOL, I wore some plaid shirts like that in college.

My bedroom walls my senior year were plastered with Jim Morrison photos....I was a bit obsessed with him at the time.

Tina2967 January 22, 2010 at 7:33 PM  

I LOVE your room!! It has so much character and I think it looks cozy. I am a bit older than you and had full pictures of Andy Gibb and Sylvester Stallone on the walls. My friends and I curiously wondered if the wad in their jeans was real or if they stuffed! HAHAHA

Miss Pockets January 22, 2010 at 8:48 PM  

aw.. Leo how I love thee. ♥

lollywood January 23, 2010 at 12:34 AM  

i was all about the big plaid shirts back in the 90s.. one time my grandma said I dressed like a gangster. I also had the walls full of bop, teenbeat, tiger beat, etc. magazine pics of my favorite stars.. I was a huge Hanson fan back in the day.. I was trying to find the pic of me and my room, but I can't... as soon as I do, I've gotta post it for the world to see!

BTW-- love the heart shaped caboodle! I always wanted a caboodle but never got one!

soul_searching_mama January 23, 2010 at 2:22 PM  

I just wanted to let you know that I responded to your comment on my Flashback Friday blog post. :)

Sarah January 24, 2010 at 1:46 PM  

I love Flashback Fridays! I am starting this week!!!!! My favorite thing about these posts is that your children will have stories behind your old photos. Instead of a box of pictures ... there will be a box of pictures with words that fill them in on your past. Beautiful. A precious precious gift.

And how freaking cool was your collage wall!

iampalegreen January 27, 2010 at 2:49 PM  

OMG...this is CLASSIC! And exactly how I was in high school. I made about a billion collages from the pages of Rolling Stone and Spin. I rocked the flannels, and in Jr. High I was all the braces and supposed to be wearing my headgear when I slept too! Hahahahaa!! My movie was Empire Records. I still have the VHS. My best friends and I would watch it EVERY weekend. I sooooo wanted to work in a record store. Aghh...good memories! Thanks for this post!!

Post a Comment