Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

Moving In Together

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Welcome to another edition of Flashback Friday! I'm not going to lie, sometimes when Thursday night rolls around, I groan (like last week- Christopher totally bailed me and my heat exhaustion out, thanks honey!!), cross my arms, and pout at the thought of having to dig out a picture and force my fingers to type some sort of story like caption to go along with it. But other times, like tonight, I'm very much overwhelmed with excitement and can hardly wait to click "publish".

I love all of the new participants *waves* that have been stopping by our space and leaving their link for us to follow back to their stories. Don't be shy, if you've never played along before but you want to, jump right in! You don't have to write a big long story, or go into extreme detail, just a simple picture with even just a single line of caption is enough to connect with us and make us smile. Us being, the entire flashback community (I'm pretty sure I can call us that, right?) of course, not just me and Christopher (ok so, Christopher doesn't actually read anybodys flashback, haha, but I do).

Anyways. On with our flashback...


January 2005. The middle of an ice storm.

Christopher and I had met each other the summer before, in June I believe. By that December, right around Christmas time, he had moved into my tiny studio apartment, and we were happily keeping each other warm at night.

While my studio was extremely affordable for its amazing location in downtown Portland, it wasn't big enough for all of our things, and each other. We had found an apartment on the other side of the bridge, and by January- we were moving into our first apartment together.

It had a bedroom. And a kitchen. And a full size bathroom.
A sunken living room. Full size windows.
A real apartment.
All ours.

The above picture was taken by Christopher's mother, who happened to be in town during our move. She picked up the camera during a silly game of hand clapping. The clock in the background belonged to my Papa, and we still have it- its hanging up in the garage, just where he had hung it. The TV, we still have. My parents had given it to us as a gift when they got a larger one, and they've since bought us an even bigger one (we would have never bought a nicer one for ourselves, they got it for us as a Christmas gift), and have moved the old one into our bedroom. The entertainment center is something that I grew up with, my parents having gotten it as a wedding gift (If I'm remembering that correctly), and we still have that as well. We almost sold it in a garage sale, but I just couldn't let it go. Instead, the entertainment center that held my parents entire record collection, and then mine and Christopher's, is now upstairs in our daughters room holding Disney movies and My Little Ponies. The desk that you can hardly see, and the chair that Christopher is sitting on- my dad built those. He didn't build them for me, but it was given to me, and its something I'll never get rid of.

And again... checkout Christopher's hair.
Also, I'm wearing a New Kids On The Block t-shirt.


Christopher's mom snapped another picture of us while we were unpacking our new kitchen. I had so many kitchen things that I had been saving up since I was 16 years old (we were 20 when we moved in together), that I had been dying to use. I knew I'd move out someday, so started asking for things like blenders and toaster ovens way back when. When I lived in my studio, I didn't even have a counter top, I used an ironing board, so they all stayed packed away. Finally, it was time to bring it all out of hiding and put it to good use.

Do you see the PBR there on the counter? Its to the left.
We drank a lot in those days.

And do you see that awful army hip pack that Christopher is wearing? I wasn't sad on the day that he threw that thing away, lemme tell ya. He wore it everywhere, filled it with literally nothing, and it was constantly getting snagged on things, or falling off (he has no hips, hes a guy!). I think it went into a free box during our "get rid of this stuff before we get married, or go marry your stuff" fight. Not a pleasant fight to have, but seriously, it was either his junky recording equipment that was doing nothing but taking up space and time, or me.

He chose me *insert cartoon hearts and eyelash batting here*.
Good choice, right?
I'd say.

I never would have thought that moving into our first apartment together, way back in 2005, would lead us to where we are now, 5 years later, living together half a country away from where we started, no manny-packs or reel to reel players or recorders allowed (hon you know its for the best), still very much in love.

And I still have those pink striped pajama pants and that trucker shirt.

************************
Ok, your turn! Grab a seat, upload a picture, write a little blurb about it- and flashback with us! Make sure to link back to this here post (you can use our polaroid button from wayyy down at the bottom of the page, or you can link back old fashioned text style), and then add your link to the list below. Our flashbacks make the world a better place. Promise, hee hee.


22 comments:

CraftGirlAlli April 15, 2010 at 9:26 PM  

I love FF! And you always have the coolest pictures!

April April 15, 2010 at 9:48 PM  

Awww, that's so sweet! I'm bummed I'm missing out again, but I just can't get my stuff together! I've gotta make time to go picture hunting this weekend!

Fallon April 15, 2010 at 10:35 PM  

I think you two deserve a cutest couple award! Cause you are. I hope you still play slappy games :)

soul_searching_mama April 15, 2010 at 11:21 PM  

It was a definitely a good choice to choose you. :) Love the post, as always!

Melissa April 15, 2010 at 11:29 PM  

I remember that ice storm! I had just moved to Portland from Reno.. it was the first time I had ever been in an ice storm. WOW was it really that long ago though.. time sure does fly :-)

I love FF too!

Maggie April 16, 2010 at 12:36 AM  

I'll join in! That is so cool you have photos of moving into your first apartment together.

Mommy Elephant Sarah April 16, 2010 at 2:38 AM  

Hahaha I love how he is wearing the army pack on his butt!! :)

Alyssa S. April 16, 2010 at 6:54 AM  

I love it! Our first apartment was a studio too. Dominic had been allowed to move off base and it was actually his place before we got married and I moved in. We were constantly tripping over each other! Luckily our next place was military housing, where we had two bedrooms and we didn't have to eat, sleep, cook and play in the same room!

CourtneyKeb April 16, 2010 at 7:02 AM  

I really like how even though these pictures were taken in 2005, they look like they were taken in like the 80s.

Ya'lls first apartment reminds me of our first... bedroom (we lived at his mom's house before we had a place).
Your apartment looks much cleaner, I'll say that! ;)

Carrie April 16, 2010 at 7:02 AM  

you have so many great old photos.

Adrienne April 16, 2010 at 7:31 AM  

Look at how young you guys were!! These pictures captured the excitement of the time perfectly.

Melanie @ Whimsical Creations April 16, 2010 at 7:33 AM  

What a wonderful memory!! Great details. Love what looking at old photos makes us remember.

Brandy L April 16, 2010 at 7:37 AM  

Ok i finally did my first Flash Back Friday! :D I hope it's good enough. :D

Chana@ Mamma Town April 16, 2010 at 9:05 AM  

I forgot all about that slappy game! Great Flashback girlfriend! I love your memory and how detailed you are with describing everything:)

emily April 16, 2010 at 9:27 AM  

I'd love to see this followed up with a photo tour of your house now - to see where all that beloved furniture ended up!

They call me mommy... April 16, 2010 at 10:15 AM  

Cute post! Thank god for moms snapping pictures! I wish I would have had someone taking cute pics of John and I in the begining!

Casey April 16, 2010 at 10:27 AM  

how cute, Tia. and funny, because I was just teaching my kids some of those old school hand-clapping games :)

Chelsey - The Paper Mama April 16, 2010 at 11:10 AM  

What a nice flashback! This inspires me for next weeks flashback...
Loved the story!
-chelsey

Unknown April 16, 2010 at 11:34 AM  

Aw, I love this!!! So happy and fun!

iampalegreen April 16, 2010 at 3:51 PM  

OhMYgoodness! You two look like babies! So young, so cute! I love it! :)

Unknown April 16, 2010 at 6:09 PM  

Love the NKOTB shirt! I think my sister had one just like it. BTW Your new look is great!

Loddelina April 18, 2010 at 3:06 AM  

Aaahg, I hate moving!
Great pics, FF are so much fun!!!

Post a Comment