Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

Cornbread. So comforting.

Sunday, May 23, 2010

The weekend has flown by, much like the wicked witch you'd see passing by the outside of your window during a sepia toned tornado in Kansas.

Anybody?
..no?

Here it is, Sunday night already. Both babies are in bed, my husband is in the bathroom cutting his own hair (because I can't stand to get too close to his awful airplane head gash, I'm pathetic when it comes to wounds) and I'm finally sitting down and giving my swollen tingly legs a rest. This weekend has been much too busy, with multiple batches of Texas sized muffins rising in the oven (both blueberry almond and banana walnut), garage sales galore (it was worth waking up at 6:30 on a Saturday for), testing out the wheels of our new double stroller, and everything in between.

Because I feel so comfortable right now, freshly showered, all yoga'd and stretched out, the house is almost completely silent with the exception of the air conditioner and the sound of the hair clippers off in the distance, I thought it would be fitting to share a recipe? A comfort food recipe?



Now this isn't my recipe, its borrowed from the always amazing Gluten Free Girl. I swear I can smell whatevers cooking over on her blog before I even click on my "favorites" bar to head over there.

I've made this cornbread several times, and it always comes out deliciously perfect, every single pan.

I may have altered an ingredient or two, to fit my own needs, but otherwise, this recipe is pretty much untouchable. You can visit her blog post, by clicking here (we even use similar style cooking pans, *little girl style, I-have-a-total-food-crush-on-you, giggle*). Otherwise, here is my variation...

1/4 cup sorghum flour
1/2 cup tapioca starch
1/4 cup rice rice flour
1/4 cup millet flour
3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
1/4 cup sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/4 cup smart balance
2 large eggs
1 cup soy milk


Preheat the oven to 425°. Combine dry ingredients. Cut in smart balance using a fork or cutter. Add beaten eggs, and soy milk. Mix mix. Pour into greased pan. Bake for 25 minutes. Eat and be comforted.

My family is never disappointed when there is cornbread on the table.
I just might have to make some for dinner tomorrow.

10 comments:

They call me mommy... May 23, 2010 at 10:05 PM  

We had cornbread with our stew tonight it was delightful! (=

Yellow House May 23, 2010 at 10:08 PM  

I love that you post GF recipes! My SIL is GF and I am always looking for new ideas to bring to family functions! The cornbread looks amazing!

beka May 23, 2010 at 10:43 PM  

Mmmm, yummy.
A couple years ago, we went through a stint where I made cornbread, and we would take it as a big square in a bowl, drizzle maple syrup (our own homemade) and milk over it. Ohmagosh. *happy sigh*
That picture makes me hungry:)
And I love where you described what had all been done and what was going on around the house...quiet...yoga'd out...hair clippers...the air-conditioning going. :)
Today was our first day for the A/C! 90 degree day out of nowhere. Crazy:)

Mommy Elephant Sarah May 24, 2010 at 2:21 AM  

Nothing like cornbread that's for sure!
Nom nom!

Alita May 24, 2010 at 7:56 AM  

We had cornbread this weekend, too. And yes, it is VERY comforting!

Chelsea May 24, 2010 at 10:22 AM  

looks yummy!

my husband is a sucker for corn bread.

i JUST MIGHT have to make this and knock his socks off!

considerthelillies May 24, 2010 at 3:16 PM  

everything you makes looks delicious!

faith ann raider May 24, 2010 at 4:54 PM  

WOW that looks amazing. Wheat free is SO hard to do but these look simply increadible.

Hobocamp Crafts May 24, 2010 at 6:50 PM  

ohhh how I love cornbread- soo delicious! Thank you for this amazing recipe!

Post a Comment