Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

Gluten Free Sunbutter Trail Mix Cookies- a recipe

Tuesday, December 14, 2010


I haven't had a cookie since the beginning of October. No, you read that right. The beginning of October!

Our family gave up sugar for the sake of our sons health (and ours too, really) a few months ago. Its made a world of difference, friends. Clearer skin, better digestion, more energy, weight loss, the pros go on and on and on.

But- as the holidays are here, I find myself missing the apron wearing hot pad holding Tia that I know and love. So yesterday, on a whim while the babies napped, I snuck into the kitchen and wondered what kind of healthy tasting treat I could create for us to bring along with us on our trip.

Thats right, we're finally going to the Ft. Worth zoo!! We were supposed to go back in October, the day after Christopher wrecked our van, but never got the chance (a real heart breaker he is, that Daddy fella). Now that we've got a new van (I feel like I'm driving around in my own luxury hotel on wheels, btw), its time. The temperature is supposed to be 81 degrees tomorrow (all the midwesterners are throwing snowballs at their computer screens right about now), Christopher is on leave for 3 days- theres no better time than the present!!



Have I mentioned Charlie's newly discovered nut sensitivity? ...yeah so that happened. I accidentally slipped up and gave him some almond milk the other day (a bite of Mommy's cereal, and then a whoopsie doodle splash into his bowl) and a day later he was all sorts of broken out in the awful rash that he gets on his bum and around his mouth. Mommy fail.

So I'm trying to be more careful. We're, trying to be more careful.

Right right right, anyways- so I made cookies!!

We're still not doing sugar, but I figured with Christmas time being here and all, we could cheat just a little. A little, honest. I made them as low sugar as I possibly could.



Gluten Free Sunbutter Trail Mix Cookies


Ingredients:
-3 eggs
-1 teaspoon b-soda
-1 12 ounce jar sunbutter
-1/4 cup smart balance
-2 tsp vanila
-1 1/4 cup stevia (I used Stevia In The Raw's cup for cup)
-1/4 cup cane sugar
-4 cups quick cook GF oats
-1 bag chocolate chips (Enjoy Life)
-2 cups GF pretzel pieces (Glutino)

Optional: Add dried fruit.
But not if you have fructose malabsorption.

Directions:
-Preheat oven to 350.
-Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
-Mix together eggs, sunbutter, smart balance, vanilla, stevia, sugar, and baking soda.
-Add oats.
-Fold in chocolate chips, and crushed up pieces of pretzels. Your arm is going to hurt by the time you're done mixing it all.
-With your hands, pack the dough into a melon scooper.
-Drop 12 cookies per cookie sheet.
-Flatten the cookies with the palm of your hands.
-Bake approx 12 minutes. Maybe 13.
-Wait a minute or two, then move to a cooling rack.

These, are, good.
Maybe its because I haven't eaten cookies in 3 months, but... YUM!

Okay, so they're not sugar free, but they're pretty low in sugar, and if you're only eating one or two, then- see how I'm totally trying to convince myself that its okay for me to be cheating?



I know that a lot of our readers have totally normal diets, and are going to skip right past this ridiculous recipe, but- for those of you who do avoid nuts, or gluten, or fructose, or whatever- I hope this finds you well.

This is a no-comment blog, but our email is down at the bottom of the page if you'd like to get in touch :)

Post a Comment